Bicycle Accident

What Should I do If I’m In A Bike Accident (Cycling Accident)?

First, as a cyclist, you are entitled to the same protection as any other vehicle. You’re also required to follow the same traffic laws as vehicle drivers. This means you’re required to obey traffic signs, lights, and traffic codes. You also can’t ride under the influence of alcohol or any other drugs. There is a vehicle code in all states including California, and all vehicles are required to follow it.

If you are in an accident caused by another vehicle while riding, you should do the following:

  • Vehicle Driver – Get the contact information of the driver who caused the accident and if possible take a photo of the driver’s license.
  • Witnesses – Get contact information of any witnesses and photograph their driver’s licenses.
  • Contact 911 and follow directions of the dispatcher.
  • Cooperate with law enforcement in giving a statement. Make sure to be accurate and report all injuries and symptoms.
  • Realize that anything you say that is detrimental to your case can be used against you.
  • If an ambulance comes to the scene, be sure to report all symptoms and injuries regardless if you think they are serious or not.
  • Don’t talk to the other driver’s insurance company.
  • Follow up with medical treatment and report any new symptoms as soon as possible.
  • Get legal advice – Most bicycle accident lawyers will give you a free consultation and answer important questions.

    What Insurance Covers My Bike Accident?

    The answer is “it depends on what insurance has been purchased by you and the driver who caused the accident.” The insurance policies that potentially cover your injuries in a cycling accident are the following:• If and when you bring a claim, insurance companies need documentation. If there is a delay between the time of the accident and the time you can document you were having symptoms, they can argue the symptoms/injuries were caused by something other than the accident.

  • The vehicle insurance of the at fault driver.
  • Your own underinsured or uninsured motorist (UIM) policy.
  • Both your and likely the at fault driver’s med pay or personal injury protection.
  • Your own medical insurance will pay for medical bills.
  • Disability insurance if you bought a policy.
  • Life Insurance if a death occurred.

    The Importance Of Under and Uninsured Motorist (UIM) Insurance

    Any injured cyclist can only hope that the at-fault driver’s insurance coverage is enough to cover all damages. Damages include medical bills, lost income, pain, suffering, disability, loss of enjoyment of life and more. Unfortunately, in California the minimum auto insurance limit is $15,000. This means that there could be as little as $15,000 available from the at-fault driver to pay for your damages. What you can do to (unfortunately it has to be done before an accident) to protect yourself and your family is to make sure you talk to your insurance agent and buy as much UIM insurance as you feel you can afford. It’s not that expensive and it will pay money damages to you if an at-fault driver injures you or your covered family members (usually family that lives with you). If you have UIM and an at-fault underinsured driver injures you or a family member while walking, cycling or driving, your own UIM insurance will pay the damages. Check with your insurance agent to make sure your UIM policy covers you whenever you are injured by a vehicle regardless of the circumstances such as when you are cycling.

    If you or someone you know are injured while cycling by a driver who you believe caused the crash, please call me. I’m happy to answer your questions and there is no fee involved in simply talking about your case. All injury cases are handled on a contingency fee basis which means you pay nothing unless and until we settle your case. I look forward to talking with you.

Let Us Answer Your Questions and Help With Your Case

Call: 602-584-8054 7 Days A Week


Let us help you! Call Now: 1-602-584-8054
·  Scottsdale, AZ, 85250